Thursday, September 8, 2011

Reason 99 Why I Love Being A Mom: Lesson Planning!

Let me first post the disclaimer that I am fully aware that each child is unique and that despite my attempts at teaching them about life and the world they may not take it all in or even listen to me. These are just my goals and what i hope for but doesn't mean i wont love my child any less if she doesn't listen to me.

One thing i think about as i try to fall asleep at night, and while i was pregnant for that matter, is what do i need to make sure i teach my children? I've been planning the dreadful sex speech for a while trying to make sure i don't miss anything, but that wont be for a while I hope because i think those things should not be introduced until quite a bit older to allow for children to be children. This boyfriend/girlfriend stuff when they are in kindergarten, yeah it's cute but i don't like it. That's a mature topic that should not even cross a child's mind. I will not be naive though to think that my kid's friends wont bring it up or that my kid won't see that stuff on tv either at our house (which i will also try to avoid) or at a friends house.

Another thing i hope to teach my kid(s) about is selflessness. My generation (the one I've noticed the most) is so self absorbed. It's almost like in the quest to find ourselves and being told to 'not care what people think just be yourself' we've taken that to every aspect of our lives. "Oh who cares what my words do to anyone but myself, it's the truth so deal with it." And "I am going to do whatever I want and anyone who may be affected by it will just have to deal." I will not say I am perfect at this but I try very hard to keep others in mind when I do or say something (though lately my filter has been horrid, one thing I am working on). I just hope that i can raise Zoey, and future children, in a way where they can be themselves but also respect the feelings and sanity of those around them. I hope they'd be considerate of people and their needs and perform kind gestures for them as well. Of course this is all without going against their own morals and good judgement.

Opinions. My mom did an amazing job with not forcing her opinions on us. She let us discover things for ourselves. Sure that meant i was a little less informed on certain things but i feel that it taught me that if I want to know about it I have to research it myself and look at both sides. Then she would be willing to listen to me about what i found and offer other viewpoints i may not have considered. Hence, I am a stickler for getting both sides of an issue seen before making a decision now, otherwise i just say i cant have an opinion because i don't know enough about the topic. I hope to do this for my children and that they take it a step further than me and really research more topics and want to form their own opinions about everything, but also be open in case new evidence is brought to light about the matter.

That is obviously just a couple issues to talk with her (and future children) about and all i have really thought about. As time goes on the list will grow but for now this is what I have, and i love (yet hate :oP) how much she is causing me to observe the world around me and learn from it!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment